They are part of the family, and therefore, we want them with us at every trip. Take note of the following tips to make your next adventure with your pet to be the happiest so far.
Pets have their own needs, especially when they go to the beach. Just like us, they also get hot and dehydrated, but also enjoy and some of them even surf! That’s why with the help of veterinarian Cristian Naranjo, we offer you these tips to avoid discomfort and make the most out of your trip.
1. On the way to your destination, is better not to feed them. If is a long trip, then the best is to feed them very lightly or stop along the way, and give them small portions of food. Some dogs get easily dizzy when on the road.
2. If your pet gets very anxious, you can use a natural medicine for anxiety. Ask your veterinarian which medicine is recommended for this situation and how far in advance you should give it to your pet.
3. Remember to always carry water and enough food for the days that are needed.
4. Let your dog enjoy his way, don’t force him to do something he doesn’t like, for example diving in the waves.
5. If your dog bathes in salt water, remember to rinse him after with fresh water, this will avoid irritation in it skin.
6. Avoid going out for walks when the sun is very strong.
7. Be sure to keep your pet in a place with good shade and ventilation. It is recommended to read about symptoms of a heat stroke in pets to be prepared.
8. It is best not to expose it to the sun or to prevent it form being exposed for long periods of time. Fur protects them but it also can cause a lot of heat.
9. It is not recommended to apply sunscreen, pets can lick it and get sick.
10. Never let it out without a leash in unfamiliar places. The ideal is to go checkout the area first without your pet.
11. If the pet is very dominant or aggressive, it must wear a muzzle or avoid contact with other pets or people.
12. Do not forget any medication, if your dog is a patient with a chronic condition.
13. Beware of fleas and ticks. It’s better to have your pet with the proper protection, like a collar, or pills against these parasites. Also in hot areas there are mosquitoes that can bite and transmit a worm, so it is important to be alert.
14. Once the trip is over, you can take your pet to the vet, and ask for a general check.
15. If the trip is out of the country, remember that your pet must have all vaccines up to date and ask your veterinarian for the Export Certificate, and other requirements that the country your visiting may have.